Thanksgiving is the leading day for home fires involving cooking equipment. Help keep friends and family safe this Thanksgiving by inspecting your appliances before the big day and keeping safety in mind while preparing food:
- Never leave food that you are frying, boiling, grilling or broiling unattended.
- Create a “Kid Free Zone” of at least three feet around the stove or anywhere you are preparing hot food or drinks.
- Keep the area around the stove clear of towels, papers, potholders, or anything that can burn.
- If there is a fire in the oven, keep the door shut and turn off the heat.
- If you have any doubt fighting a small fire, just get out! Call 9-1-1 or your emergency number from outside the home.
Find more cooking health and safety tips here: https://dph.illinois.gov/topics-services/food-safety/holidays.html