This month, the Illinois General Assembly returned to session, with a scheduled conclusion in May. During session, legislators spend a significant amount of time in Springfield. This can make it difficult for residents to engage with the legislative process, but there are options to stay involved.
- Communicate with legislators. This is one of the ways residents can continue to stay involved and further engage. Elected officials offer email addresses, district and Springfield office locations, office numbers, and surveys that residents can utilize: contact information can be found on ilga.gov/house. In both district and Springfield offices, legislators have different staff that field calls, emails, and meetings with residents and then report back to the official. Each legislator has a varying set up, but typically, either office may be contacted to leave a message for the legislator.
- Utilize a legislator’s government social media and website. Each House Republican member has a legislative website you can view updates on session, legislation, and upcoming events. On these websites and applications, legislators update the residents of their district on daily and weekly occurrences with information on legislation, events, district updates, Springfield updates, projects, and resources.
- Watch legislative session live on the Illinois General Assembly (ILGA) website. You can see the action on the House floor, and much more! This is a state website that encompasses all elements of bills, committees, legislators, audio and video, and more that is all crucial to the legislative processes. The site is free to use and is updated frequently to reflect changes.
Check out more ideas to stay engaged below:
- How to Find Your Local, State, and National elected officials? Click on the map on the State Board of Elections – Find My Elected Officials webpage and enter your address. Or you can use the handy maps at this website: Find and contact your Illinois state senator, house representative or Chicago alderman | Illinois Policy
- Who are the current members of the Illinois General Assembly? Find them here along with phone numbers, short bios, addresses, bills sponsored, and committee assignments: Illinois General Assembly – Senate Members and Illinois General Assembly – House Members.
- Looking for an overall guide to the legislative process? This Citizen Guide provides a lot of helpful information.
- Interested in knowing all about witness slips or the process behind filing one? Find info here Microsoft Word – ILGA Dashboard User Guide.docx and here How to File a Witness Slip | Illinois State Bar Association.
- Voters seeking more information on their candidates, voting by mail, voter registration, election results and more can head to the State Board of Elections website.
- How to view a session recording after it has ended? Using the respective links for the House or Senate allows citizens to search for what day of session they would like to view.