The area is experiencing record high temperatures. You should know that if you spend a few hours each day in air conditioning it can help prevent or reduce heat-related illness. If you do not have air conditioning in your home, identify a place where you can spend the warmest part of the day during an extreme heat event. You may be able to seek relief from the heat in local shops, shopping malls or public libraries.
Cooling centers open in the area include:
- Walmart, 4114 E. Lincolnway, Sterling, 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Walmart, 1901 First Ave., Rock Falls. 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Sterling Police Department, 212 Third Ave., Sterling. All hours.
- Sterling Public Library, 102 W. Third St., Sterling. 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday to Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Whiteside County Sheriff, 400 N. Cherry St., Morrison. All hours.
- Odel Public Library, 307 S. Madison St., Morrison, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Wednesday, 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday and Friday.
- Kickback Saloon, 102 N Main St., Tampico. 10 a.m. to noon.
- Whiteside County Community Health Clinic, 1300 W. Second St, Rock Falls. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday and Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m., Tuesday to Thursday.
- Rock Falls Public Library, 1007 Seventh Ave., Rock Falls. 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Community Building, 603 W. 10th St., Rock Falls, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Erie Fire Station, 807 Ninth Ave., Erie. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Call in advance.
- Albany Fire Department, 409 N. Church St., Albany. All hours during a heat advisory.
- Rock Island Township Hall, 2827 Seventh Ave., Rock Island. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Rock Island County Senior Center, 2221 11th St., Rock Island. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Project Now, 418 19th St., Rock Island. 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- South Moline Township Center, 637 17th Ave., East Moline. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Colona City Hall, 100 E 9th Ave., Colona 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Scott Family Park, 5775 Poppy Garden Road, Colona. 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.